Friday, September 7, 2007

Viva Tejas!

I've only been in Texas for five years, and have to say one of the first things I noticed was the inordinate amount of political bumper stickers; hence the title of my blog! It's one of those endearing things I've come to appreciate about Austin, and certainly excuses (to some degree) the ridiculous amount of traffic I'm constantly stuck in around this town! The bumper stickers really seem to reflect the diversity of thought here in Texas, not to mention an atmosphere that really promotes participation. To quote a few off the top of my head:

"God is not a Republican"
"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."
"My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy."
"Impeach George Dubya"
"Christian Democrat"
"How Many Lives per Gallon?"
"Abortion is Murder"
"Keep Austin Reading"
.....and who could fail to include the world-famous "Keep Austin Weird"

The list goes on....

I was really interested by the "best intro everrr" article that Professor Seago posted; it certainly helped to clarify why on earth Texans are so darn, well...proud to be Texans! I am looking forward to learning more about this grand ol' state, and the dynamics that have contributed to the political atmosphere here. The undeniable cure for my ignorance of the political workings of Texas...."Keep Austin Reading!" We really are in bumper sticker heaven!!

Here's to a great semester........

~Jacqueline

1 comment:

Meli said...

"Gig 'em God" I saw that bumber sticker yesterday. :)